“Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food…….” Hippocrates
For thousands of years Olive Oil has had a history of many uses and was dubbed Liquid Gold by the philosopher Homer.
Olive oil has played a major role in ancient civilizations, ethnic cuisines and religious events. It has been used internally as a food and as a medicine and externally for beauty and cosmetic purposes.
Ancient Greeks and Romans adorned themselves with olive oil for sporting events and rituals. It has been also used to preserve other foods, used as lamp oil for light, and also as a currency.
We at Extra Virgin Olio by Madge & Louie’s want to describe more fully and direct your attention to 100% Extra Virgins Olive Oil’s effects on your health and longevity. It not only makes food taste better, but is an essential fat, one of the few that is very, very good for you and your health.
Why 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the Healthiest Food on the Planet
- Reduce cancer risk by lowering inflammation and cellular proliferation;
- Decrease heart disease risk factors by lowering blood pressure and cholesterol, reducing blood clotting and improving the health of arterial linings;
- Protect the body from oxygen-free radicals and promote healthy cognitive function;
- Relieve inflammation and joint pain (arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis);
- Benefit the intestinal tract — easily digestible;
- May help in weight loss.
Also, here are some more interesting facts of the health benefits of extra virgin olive oils:
- courtesy of Randal Abney, Uncommon Gourment Associates.
- Gary Beauchamp PhD in Biopsychology at the Monnell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, PA, has found through chemical analysis- that there was a connection between ibuprofen and EVOO. Tests over 6 years discovered that polyphenols and other minor components in EVOO are the main source of the health benefits; he named it OLEOCANTHAL.
- “Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with the Mediterranean Diet”, Estruch,R. et al, 5/2013 N.E. J of Medicine.
- Mediterranean Diet and Invasive Breast Cancer Risk Among Women at High Cardiovascular Risk in the PREDIMED Trial: A Randomized Clinical Trial, Toledo, Estafania et al, JAMA Internal Medicine, 9/2015.
- -in vitro studies, one from here in the tri-state area, showed Oleocanthal selectively induced death in cancer cells. LeGrande, et al., Oleocanthal rapidly and selectively induces cancer cell death via lysosomal permeabilization (LMP), Journal of Molecular and Cellular Oncology, 1/2015.
- “Mediterranean Diet Most Effective for Reducing Risk of Heart Disease,” Olive Oil Times 5/18/2020
- “ Study from the British Medical Journal was the most effective diet for reducing the risk of heart disease….”
- “High Polyphenol EVOO May Lower Risk of Vascular Diseases Associated with Diabetes”, Olive Oil Times 3/11/2021
- “a new study from the Yale-Griffin Prevention Center at Yale University found that High Polyphenol EVOO consumption improved endothelial function in adults of contracting Type 2-Diabetes, while refined olive oil did not.
- “Studies Find Extra Virgin Olive Oil Improves Oral Health and Prevents Periodontitis”, the Olive Oil Times 3/12/2021
- “Studies Suggest EVOO Helps Reduce Covid Symptoms”, the Olive Oil Times 3/15/2021
- “OLIVE OIL DIET CURBS STROKES”, by Andrea Petersen, Feb.26, 2013, The Wall Street Journal, U.S. edition. - http://online.wsy.com/article/SB10001424127887324338604578326
- “MEDITERRANEAN DIET: A HEART-HEALTHY EATING PLAN by the Mayo Clinic Staff. The Mayo Clinic further explains the benefits of the Mediterranean diet with tips and recipes. www.tinyurl.com/6ayebq
- Joyce Zborower, M.A., “The Truth About Olive Oil-Benefits-Curing Methods “–Remedies. 2012
- Shaw, Jerry. “The Healing Power of Olive Oil-learn how it can help you live a longer, healthier life…..and look years younger!” (booklet), USA: American Media Mini Mags, Inc. 2001
- Orey, Cal. “The Healing Powers of Olive Oil- A Complete Guide to Nature’s Liquid Gold.” Kensington Books 2009.
- Mueller, Tom. Extra Virginity- the sublime and scandalous world of olive oil. W.W. Norton & Co: New York. 2012